Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Titus 1
"Paul, a servant of God and an apostle of Jesus Christ for the faith of God's elect and the knowledge of the truth that leads to godliness - a faith and knowledge resting on the hope of eternal life, which God, who does not lie, promised before the beginning of time, and at his appointed season he brought his word to light through the preaching entrusted to me by the command of God our Saviour."

I often skim past Paul's introductions in his letters, but somehow the first few lines of Titus really grabbed me and I begin read into them a bit more deeply. To me the story of Paul is one that is inspiring not only because of how he was called, but how he set the example of Christlike endurance; and this introduction somehow explains abit about where he's coming from.
How we see ourselves as individuals will inherently dictate how we live our life out. For Paul, his identity lies solely in Christ and His message. The reason he gives for this is simply that "God, who does not lie, promised before the beginning of time". To me this is a great assurance especially since I am susceptible to placing hope in many things and I think this is true to anyone. We place our hopes on our education, our careers, our circumstances and almost any other thing to provide us with security, with purpose and with meaning. But often we find these things don't give us anything at all. Education is fleeting and incomplete, careers are at best uncertain and circumstances, although useful for a while, can hide deeper and more long-lasting implications.
For Paul, the realisation of his faith and knowledge came as he carried out God's will for him as a preacher. It was something that he came to know as he perservered in his walk and it was something he kept despite his circumstances, other people's opinions of him.
I pray that my life will be fixed on what God wants, to trust in His promises.

Categories:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home