Monday, July 03, 2006

2 Timothy 4
"Preach the Word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage - with great patience and careful instruction. For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. They wil turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths. But you, keep your head in all situations, endure hardships, do the work of an evangelist, discharge all the duties of your ministry."

It's true enough, when I think about it, to see that one of the reasons I don't say enough about Jesus to those I know is because there's so much else that can drown out the message of Christ. After I read this passage and then later at night listened to a the talk outlining the importance of knowing God's truth, I'm beginning to realise that I'm missing a crucial part in my own study of the Bible that is the connection of God's Word to my life.
I wonder if the quiet time I'm currently doing is often just a top up of spiritualism every morning, something inspirational to get by with? Have I conformed to the ways of the world by trying to incorporate God's Word as part of everything else in this "instant society"?
It was quite a sad sight when I was sitting in the year 12 and early uni student sunday school class and realise that no one in that room was interested in the applications of God's Word, no one could see beyond what was written on the piece of paper on which the study was printed and onto what God's Word meant to the way they lived.
Perhaps we've become a people who not only just hear what we want to hear but also a people who only say what we know people what to hear.
I pray for the courage and the discipline to be saturated in God's Word. Not to just read the Bible for inspiration but also to be able to use the Word in a deep and relevant way to win people for Christ.

Categories:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home